BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday 10 April 2011

My evaluation of my magazine 'Word Up'

Hello!
Indeed this will be one of my last posts as this of course is this evaluation :(. Although I've had fun in making the magazine I've also experience some tough and stressful times along the way. Moving on though recently I was asked to make an evalutaion of my final media product. The presentation itself was quite sucessful as I was quite detailed and there wasn't any major screw ups or mistakes. However I'm going to add bits that I think weren't mention properly in the presentation so you could call this post 'exclusive'.



Slide 2: My main inspiration for my magazine was Vibe. I decided to use Vibe because they are a major company and are one of the leading magazines in Hip Hop. As you can see I have used many conventions from Vibe such airbrushing the graphic to get rid of spots, make the skin clear and to make the magazine have a professional look and the masthead. I spaced it out like Vibe because this meant that my magazine would have clarity and would be readable. I've also made my graphic pose in the same way because I generally like the pose as it connotes that the model is quite menacing and harsh and this is what I wanted my magazine to depict also. The model within my magazine had been cut down to a medium close up whereas the model on 'Vibe''s magaine is a mid long shot and I decided to have mine as a medium close up because it shows the emotions on the face better and the angle of gaze will be easier to view and see. Additionally I've made my model dress in black coincidentally the same as Vibe but nevertheless I chose black simply because it went along with the colour scheme and it also appealed to my audience as I believe this is the way most hip hop listeners dress. Unlike Vibe I've used a strapline (slogan) 'The No1 Hip Hop Mag' because I wanted to sum up what genre the magazine and what the content of the magazine was. Also I've used words like 'mag' and 'no1' because I wanted it to symbolise that my my mode of address is colloquial, modern and chatty. The genre of my magazine is female and male genders so I have used a female model to attract the males but I've also used a female so that   she would be aspirational to other females who want to get into the music industry. However I've used a universal colours to attract both gender's so that the magazine wouldn't connote feminism.

My magazine also includes:
Human Interest Stories - These will be stories that are quite melodramatic that are suppose to entice my audience in wanting to know more. I've added quite a couple for example:

These stories are usually real life and I assume that this can pass for a real life story.

Imagined Communities - This is where people feel a if they know the celebrities in real life so I believe that the artists shown above are well known celebrities and I know for a fact that their fans build a relationship with them so these artists being together would be big news within the Hip Hop industry.

Uses and Gratifications Theory - This implies that an individual may watch X factor to laugh at people who can't sing or act crazy on the show. My magazine includes this a little in a specific article which is:


Now I know some youth are based in my target audience only watch Awards and gigs to see people mess up for example someone mess up on a speech or if someone fell of stage so this is the reason why I embedded this into my magazine.


What did I learn?
This evaluation helped me to remember why I put certain things in my magazine and it helped me to back up my points and ideas for why I did some things different to real life magazines.

0 comments: